One of the problems with modeling vaults, especially with 3D printing, is the many small pieces either don’t print right or get mistaken for other pieces. A new idea is to use fabric infused with the printing process to keep all the pieces intact and grouped together. This may help the modeling a much smother experience and allow for demonstration by quick disassembly and reassembly.
Did some looking into different ways to make molds for resin casting. We used a wood board with 1in pockets drilled into the surface with various materials lining the pockets. We chose, from left to right; scotch tape, aluminum foils in two methods, saran wrap, scotch tape with a bolt, silicone mold condisinor, silicone, plastic cup with a dye test.
I’ve been testing different ways to make molds for resin. Insulation foam doesn’t really work. Resin heats when setting causing the foam to melt.
Few months back I sent a smaller printed Jackrabbit to a friend who made a silicone mold from the object. After acquiring some new resin, I tried a cast with the new resin. The mold picked up everything from the surface of the 3D printed object, hence the ridges and the bubbles are from a lack of tamping when casting.
The new resin I found has worked well, and can be found outside of craft stores. The Famowood Gloss Oil-Based Polyurethane, which is intended for finishing flooring and tables. However, it’s the same components and works with resin dyes meant for craft polyurethane.
Photo from when large wildfires struck Canada this June and the smoke clouds reached Midwest USA creating a few days of orange light.