Gothic vault

For the final project of my Building shop class this semester we built a small Gothic rib vault out of hydro-cal, a white gypsum cement.

DSCN7039

with Alejandro Marin

DSCN7016

Some fixes were needed

Life Counter for MTG – Iteration 2

Working on the life counter again. I tried printing a smaller one with larger gaps but it still wouldn’t move. For the next go around, I reworked how the counter operated. The goal was to make the counter assessable instead of a one shot print. I split the base in two and made the discs sit on a star-shaped rod.

DSCN7078This worked wonderfully! the counter actually is functional now. However the base is a little flimsy, which will be fixed with a thicker bottom. Overall, this iteration turned out pretty good. I am hoping to make a variation of the counter for another card game that would need four place holders, which may pose a challenge.

RhinoVault to 3D printing

RhinoVault is a plug in for Rhinoceros that allows for creation of vault structures that work in compression. We have been working with Rhinovault in my building shop class to learn about modern compression structures. For the final assignment we were to 3D print a vault we had designed with RhinoVault.

render1

In Rhino

redner makerware 4

Makerware’s rendering

Rhinovault -> http://block.arch.ethz.ch/brg/

Life counter for MTG – Iteration One

Recently while playing Magic the gathering I’ve had trouble keeping track of my life points. Paper is tedious, dice get knocked over, and phone apps are untrusted by my fellow players. I have seen fancy life counters at stores and with my friends who spend tons on money on the game, so I decided to make one my self.

lifecounter drawing BOTH

There were two issues with the first go around; first the counter was way bigger than i thought it would be, second the spacing between the moving parts was to small and the parts melded together.

Hydro-cal test

Our class had the opportunity to try a cast with hydro-cal. We only had time for one casting but I would like to play around with the material more. Unfortunately, our cast broke in the middle again. Next time, we should use a parametric mold.