Refurbishing an old fridge

234540591_d6ed366755_z

Original advertisement

A client came to us with a plastic part for an old International Harvester fridge from the 1950s. The fridge featured a customizable door. The part in question was a door handle that could be switched out. It was in bad shape. The part was cracked in many places, edges broken off, and a set of holes were drilled into it

Handle in its current state

Handle in its current state

With some flat bed scanning, which is more useful than one would thing, and a digital caliper I was able to recreate the handle fairly easily.  One tricky part was matching the font. Using a web site called What the font, I was able to find a close match to the original font.

Finished Model

render 2 door render

Working with topography

Originally, I was looking for a way to 3D print sound files using histograms and a displacement commands in Rhinoceros ( a CAD based program). In Rhino the command called “apply displacement.” However, I discovered by using gray-scale topographic maps the same command could be used to make topographic models. The command displaces a surface based on the color values of a texture applied to the surface. Each pixels value is interpreted as a z axis value, creating a point cloud which the command then pulls the surface to the points

sd_elavation_bw_2

converted topographic map; note the steps in the gradient

.At first I used simple topographic maps of states, but they were only in color and my imaging software was not very good at changing them into gray-scale without a loss of quality. Next iteration, I’ll be using STRM data, which is gathered from satellites in black and white. A downfall of the STRMs is that they have a smaller geographic area and would need to be stitched together for state-sized models.

However the model from the first maps were decent and made for good practice.

sd_light_6

render bettermesh

Render of .stl

Sample STRM

Sample STRM

Running Rabbit Decor

Been working a large wall decor of my college’s logo, a running jackrabbit. (GO SDSU!!). The end result will be a 2.5ft by 1.5 ft, 2in thick wall decor. This will be 3D printed using the makerbots. The makerbots only have a build area of 6in x 11in, therefore the piece has been split into 8 different parts. As for attaching them together, I have used dove tail joints hidden underneath. The joints where built with a .2mm gap, which accounted for the plastic shrinking when cooling. The joints worked great, we cant get the rabbit apart! Will have pictures of the printed rabbit soon!

rabbit render better_unsplit

uncut decor

cut lines

where the rabbit was cut

close up

Close up!

detail of joints

Joint details